Singapore Gunpla Society

Please remember to introduce yourself to everyone before heading off into the other sections.
This is just pure courtesy.

From your ~Admins~
Singapore Gunpla Society

Gundam modelling society located in Singapore for everyone around the world

Dear all, this forum will be shut down in June 2017 due to low activity.

How to make a simple gravel base with less than S$5.00 and in less than 15min

sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Nickname: Mighty Banhammer
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

How to make a simple gravel base with less than S$5.00 and in less than 15min

Post by sliver on Mon 04 Jun 2012, 11:35 pm

i have made a base for one of my entries for the mid year 2012 i guess i won't be using tat base for myc anymore..

regardless, i tot i share what i have done with the peeps here, hope that it can encourage more people to do a base and in turn, a diorama.
    there are definitely many diff ways to do the base that i am showing below. So i do seek your kind understanding if i have done anything wrongly as this is the 1st time i am attempting to do a simple diy base

materials required:

1) green cement (from hardware shops, cost $2.50 for a 500g worth)(some might use white glue instead)
    2) disposable plastic container (as a tray for mixing)
    3) any plastic container's cover. for my case, i bought a squarish transparent plastic container from artfriend that cost ard $2.50, but free feel to use any base template (you can even invert those round disposable container and use its bottom as the surface)
    4) water (for mixing)
    5) sand and stones (optional)

green cement and container for mixing

plastic container cover

Step 1:
    pour cement into container and slowly add water and mix until u get a rough gluely mixture (if its too watery, add more cement to 'thicken' the mixture

sorry i din take the rough gluely mixture cos i was wearing glove and can only take pics after i have done the base
    (estimated time: 5min for a small base)
    (optional to add sand and stone depending on how detailed u wan your base to be)

Step 2:
    take the mixed cement and smear it on your desired base (the idea here is to be as uneven as possible)

If your base's cement mixture is too 'watery' do not worry, just sprinkle the grey cement powder slowly over your watery base, (they will 'dissolve' into the watery cement mixture, until its saturated) you will get a texturized surface as such:

it will get messy with all cement mixture that might stick onto surface that you do not wan to cement, just use a wet cloth to wipe it off, as long as it has not dried, you can wipe them off.
    (estimated time: 10min inclusive of sprinkle-ing of cement powder, if stones and sand added in step 1, then might not need to sprinkle)

after that, wait for the cement to dry and you are done!

Step 3: optional
    you can choose to paint your base other colors (more recessed area darker tones, more protuding area lighter tones etc) or you can oso add 'erosion' effect by drybrushing silver over the protuding edges. you will get this

feel free to add more details, you can even add some plaplates as broken building pieces, basic idea is be creative.

PS: When in doubt, do try out on a unwanted piece of plastic 1st cos once the cement dries, there is no turning back.

Ultimatron
    SGGS Supreme Member
    SGGS Supreme Member

Re: How to make a simple gravel base with less than S$5.00 and in less than 15min

Post by Ultimatron on Mon 04 Jun 2012, 11:50 pm

nice! Very Happy

can see that you also did some weathering to your zaku Very Happy

shall try your method next time. im currently using sculpting plaster but even after a few days, it breaks easily.

btw personally i think it would be better to cover the transparent portion with the same colour at the dio.

and thanks for the guide! good Idea
    sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Nickname: Mighty Banhammer
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Re: How to make a simple gravel base with less than S$5.00 and in less than 15min

Post by sliver on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 12:33 am

Ultimatron wrote:nice! Very Happy

can see that you also did some weathering to your zaku Very Happy

shall try your method next time. im currently using sculpting plaster but even after a few days, it breaks easily.

btw personally i think it would be better to cover the transparent portion with the same colour at the dio.

and thanks for the guide! good Idea

tat battle damaged zaku will be in the cold palace for a while now.. pale

think for the sculpturing plaster, shld work fine, perhap you can use a more robust base for your plaster to 'tumpa' onto? imho, might help.

as for the transparent part, initially i wanted to cover the vertical plates but was thinking it might be more unique to have a 'see-through' base, having said that, as mentioned in my 1st post, you up to individual to decide how they wan to do their base, my tutorial just serves as a general guide.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 May 2017, 2:21 am