Singapore Gunpla Society

Please remember to introduce yourself to everyone before heading off into the other sections.
This is just pure courtesy.

From your ~Admins~
Singapore Gunpla Society

Gundam modelling society located in Singapore for everyone around the world

Dear all, this forum will be shut down in June 2017 due to low activity.

Shiny / Metallic colour effect

hllow
    SGGS Newbie
    SGGS Newbie

Shiny / Metallic colour effect

Post by hllow on Sun 26 Feb 2012, 5:08 pm

Hi guys, if I want to have shiny / metallic effect (Btw is that called Candy Gloss Effect?) on my kit, is it correct that I will need to do the following steps?

1. Gloss Black
    2. Chrome Silver
    3. Desired colour of paint

and some questions on the 3 steps above:

On 1. Gloss Black - Can I use Enamel gloss black on that? I have the enamel gloss black for panel line wash and wondering if I could use it for the gloss black layer. If not, which type of paint should I use?

On 2. Chrome Silver - Which brand and type of Chrome Silver should I be using? I saw people mentioning Alclad but not sure if could we get that in Sg.

On 3. Last layer of paint - I wonder can I use lacquer based gloss colour if I already use lacquer type on the previous layer? I think if I could use enamel gloss black it should not have issue with lacquer colour, but I am not sure on the second layer of chrome paint whether is it lacquer type. If yes am I only left with acyclic paint of choice? Can I also use gold metallic colour for this layer to achieve a shiny gold?

One last question, it seems like a long and tedious way of painting the candy effect on any kits (3 layers and haven't include top coat and priming), is there any type that we can just spray (using ab or can) and achieve the same effect with just 1 layer which cater more for lazy people like me? haha Razz

Btw I found this page that explain how they use polish and wax to make the surface shine like real car! Has anyone tried that before?

http://italianhorses.net/Tutorials/PerfectPaint/paint.htm

Thanks in advance guys!
    alexmcqueen
    Moderators
    Moderators

Re: Shiny / Metallic colour effect

Post by alexmcqueen on Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:32 pm

hllow wrote:Hi guys, if I want to have shiny / metallic effect (Btw is that called Candy Gloss Effect?) on my kit, is it correct that I will need to do the following steps?

1. Gloss Black
    2. Chrome Silver
    3. Desired colour of paint

and some questions on the 3 steps above:

On 1. Gloss Black - Can I use Enamel gloss black on that? I have the enamel gloss black for panel line wash and wondering if I could use it for the gloss black layer. If not, which type of paint should I use?

if u r using ab, lacquer paints works better. spraycan, i dun remb there is enamel spraycans

On 2. Chrome Silver - Which brand and type of Chrome Silver should I be using? I saw people mentioning Alclad but not sure if could we get that in Sg.

alclad u can get in storm domain.

On 3. Last layer of paint - I wonder can I use lacquer based gloss colour if I already use lacquer type on the previous layer? I think if I could use enamel gloss black it should not have issue with lacquer colour, but I am not sure on the second layer of chrome paint whether is it lacquer type. If yes am I only left with acyclic paint of choice? Can I also use gold metallic colour for this layer to achieve a shiny gold?

lacquer over lacquer of cos not a problem. wait till the paint dry. better still, let it cure.

One last question, it seems like a long and tedious way of painting the candy effect on any kits (3 layers and haven't include top coat and priming), is there any type that we can just spray (using ab or can) and achieve the same effect with just 1 layer which cater more for lazy people like me? haha Razz

if u r lazy, den u can just forget it. patience gives u better results. my candy gloss, even the black base is at least 2 coatings. silver 2. clear colours, 3. end with 2 layers of clear gloss.
    my candy gloss kits if u want to see my noob candy gloss.
    http://www.sggunplasociety.com/t468-mg-sinanju-custom-candy-gloss-blue

Btw I found this page that explain how they use polish and wax to make the surface shine like real car! Has anyone tried that before?

http://italianhorses.net/Tutorials/PerfectPaint/paint.htm

Thanks in advance guys!

SGGS Newbie
    SGGS Newbie

Post by hllow on Sun 26 Feb 2012, 9:03 pm

Thanks bro! Awesome Sinanju you have there, definitely not noob la Smile

Btw I saw that you are using Mr Hobby Super Metallic Silver after the black gloss coat, does the metallic silver need thinning? Or it can be like Alclad paint which we can spray straight from the bottle?
    alexmcqueen
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by alexmcqueen on Mon 27 Feb 2012, 9:03 am

it needs thinning. super metallic range only sm08 plate silver next does not need thinning.
    those premix like the sm08 and alclad gives u lesser mileage. but they usually have better chrome effect compare to others.

SGGS Newbie
    SGGS Newbie

Post by hllow on Mon 27 Feb 2012, 10:16 am

Ah I see. Thanks for the info!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 May 2017, 2:20 am