Singapore Gunpla Society

Please remember to introduce yourself to everyone before heading off into the other sections.
This is just pure courtesy.

From your ~Admins~
Singapore Gunpla Society

Gundam modelling society located in Singapore for everyone around the world

Dear all, this forum will be shut down in June 2017 due to low activity.

Topcoat first timer

dalvinho
    SGGS Supreme Member
    SGGS Supreme Member

Topcoat first timer

Post by dalvinho on Sat 31 Dec 2011, 7:39 am

Might sound like a noob question, but its going to be my first time using topcoat on my painted model. So I'm worried if mis-use will result in misting of the paintjob. From what I know is cannot apply on rainy day. So does it mean if it rains in the morn I have to wait till noon then spray, or I gotta wait a whole day?

And any other advice you guys can contribute will be greatly appreciated Very Happy

Thks in advance!

sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Nickname: Mighty Banhammer
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Re: Topcoat first timer

Post by sliver on Sat 31 Dec 2011, 7:59 am

not sure abt the correct way but if you are using spraycan, try to avoid spraycanning topcoat on raining days, cold nights and cold morning, when it is 'dewy', or when the air is 'moist'.
    (sorry, do not know the technical reason why :p)

hmmm.. if not sure whether the weather is 'ok anot', my suggestion is tat u prepare a painted plastic disposable spoon (not painted white, any painted colors other than white is gd), then prior to topcoating on your kits/parts, topcoat on tat painted plastic disposable spoon and wait for 15-20min? if weather is moist, the frosting will show up quite fast de.

but if u do not wan to be restrainted by the weather, ab is the way to go Smile

eh.. if i mentioned anything wrongly, bros here pls correct me. tia Smile

my 1 cent

dalvinho
    SGGS Supreme Member
    SGGS Supreme Member

Post by dalvinho on Sun 01 Jan 2012, 11:05 am

Ah thks lots Silver. Din noe frosting occurs that fast. Let's hope and pray tml will be sunny!!! finally done with all the painting, jus gotta panel line plus shade to finish!!! Can't wait.
    sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by sliver on Sun 01 Jan 2012, 11:27 am

dalvinho wrote:Ah thks lots Silver. Din noe frosting occurs that fast. Let's hope and pray tml will be sunny!!! finally done with all the painting, jus gotta panel line plus shade to finish!!! Can't wait.

if u mist the topcoat, the frosting (if 'wrong weather') will appears once it dries (placed under the sun/near the window)

if u spam the topcoat, frosting (if 'wrong weather') will apear once it dries (which might take longer than the mist coat)

can't wait to see your pics soon! good Idea

piecewise
    SGGS Members
    SGGS Members

Post by piecewise on Sun 01 Jan 2012, 7:20 pm

dalvinho wrote:Ah thks lots Silver. Din noe frosting occurs that fast. Let's hope and pray tml will be sunny!!! finally done with all the painting, jus gotta panel line plus shade to finish!!! Can't wait.

Can't wait to see the final product! Smile As for frosting I don't even know how it's supposed to look like. A few times I used a flat topcoat the result looks like frosting but then it also looks like how a flat coat should be. I guess just don't spray when its raining should be fine. Smile
    priller07
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by priller07 on Thu 15 Nov 2012, 2:08 am

Frosting..? Sprayed it last night. Haiz. Shoulda consulted here first.

Looks like it's been frozen alongside Megatron in the arctic. Haha.. *feel slightly better alrdy* Neutral
    epsilondelta24
    SGGS Supreme Member
    SGGS Supreme Member

Post by epsilondelta24 on Thu 15 Nov 2012, 2:32 am

wow that's awful.. I think you also sprayed too thick (maybe too close?). my first experiment topcoating in the night wasn't that bad. did you use acrylic topcoat? if yes perhaps you can dip cotton buds into acrylic thinner and wipe them down slowly (don't use lacquer thinner, your kit would most likely break).
    priller07
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by priller07 on Thu 15 Nov 2012, 3:15 am

epsilondelta24 wrote:wow that's awful.. I think you also sprayed too thick (maybe too close?). my first experiment topcoating in the night wasn't that bad. did you use acrylic topcoat? if yes perhaps you can dip cotton buds into acrylic thinner and wipe them down slowly (don't use lacquer thinner, your kit would most likely break).

Thanks for the reply man. Very Happy

I used this:~

This is the outcome:~

Sorry didn't pose it too much. Still a bit heartache to see the outcome. Maybe thinking of getting another and build it again. Have to think of how to coat the next one after this disaster! Mad

Anyways, it's been raining the whole night, so definitely moist buildup super fast i assume. I sprayed it abt 15cm away; those harder-to-reach areas i sprayed closer. Love the matte finish though. Any ideas how to clear up the affected areas..? This is really my 2nd gundam kit that i ever built. Now attempting the RG Skygrasper. The PG Wing Zero will have to wait for some time.. Now scared to spray alrdy.. Sad
    sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by sliver on Thu 15 Nov 2012, 6:22 am

Definitely frosting. And i suppose you literally spam e topcoat all overall e kit. Do not spray on raining day nor at night/morning when it is chilly.

If not sure whether will have frosting, imho, topcoat on your used runners first n wait for e topcoat to dry. If runner's is ok then proceed to topcoat your kit.

My 2 cents

priller07
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by priller07 on Thu 15 Nov 2012, 6:57 am

sliver wrote:Definitely frosting. And i suppose you literally spam e topcoat all overall e kit. Do not spray on raining day nor at night/morning when it is chilly.

If not sure whether will have frosting, imho, topcoat on your used runners first n wait for e topcoat to dry. If runner's is ok then proceed to topcoat your kit.

My 2 cents

Thanks Sliver for ur input too. I do agree i oversprayed it judging by the outcome. With all due respect, I guess it's still a loong way to go for me to reach anywhere near ur spraying skills man. Sad

Shoulda waited on a warm day to test it on the runners too. Guess i was impatient. Really enjoyed the build though. Well, there's the skygrasper left for now. I'll do it up, then topcoat it accordingly after panelling and stickering as advised. Will post if the outcome is nice. By the way, sorry if i hijacked this thread.
    DarthYuy
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Nickname: MIA/Dead/Retired
    Friendliness Level:
    0/100  (0/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by DarthYuy on Thu 15 Nov 2012, 7:30 am

Waaa that is really bad frosting you got. You can remedy it by spraying a coat of gloss coat over but please do it in a dry environment.

Second way place the kit under a lamp, that will also help a little in defeating frosting.

Last edited by HeeroYuy on Thu 15 Nov 2012, 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total

lazyoneeyez
    SGGS Supreme Member
    SGGS Supreme Member

Post by lazyoneeyez on Thu 15 Nov 2012, 8:21 am

Bro an advice i was given was to heat the can up by puting it in a tub of hot water of sorts to heat up the content den spray. Sorry I know it's too late an advice for you but maybe next time can do it again. Good luck. I am really sorry to see your kit this way.
    priller07
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by priller07 on Thu 15 Nov 2012, 1:57 pm

HeeroYuy wrote:Waaa that is really bad frosting you got. You can remedy it by spraying a coat of gloss coat over but please do it in a dry environment.

Second way place the kit under a lamp, that will also help a little in defeating frosting.

Yeah man. The whole kit looks...snowed in. Anyway, i'll try get a gloss coat spray later. Hopefully it can minimize. Thank u loads for the idea mate! But weather again looks...glooomy today.. Shocked

lazyoneeyez wrote:Bro an advice i was given was to heat the can up by puting it in a tub of hot water of sorts to heat up the content den spray. Sorry I know it's too late an advice for you but maybe next time can do it again. Good luck. I am really sorry to see your kit this way.

I appreciate any/every advice i can get man. Next time i'll make sure to do it properly. The heating up process really slipped my mind. I'll see if i can undo some damage to the kit later on. If the weather stays this way, i'll just sit it out. Embarassed Thanks for the advice man.
    tanyieern
    SGGS Newbie
    SGGS Newbie

Post by tanyieern on Thu 15 Nov 2012, 9:58 pm

You can use mr colour thinner 50 to remove the frosted topcoat. I also ran into the same problem working on my strike rouge. I used that to strip off the entire topcoat. Haven't dare to topcoat after that... pale

hope it helps!
    priller07
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by priller07 on Thu 15 Nov 2012, 11:46 pm

tanyieern wrote:You can use mr colour thinner 50 to remove the frosted topcoat. I also ran into the same problem working on my strike rouge. I used that to strip off the entire topcoat. Haven't dare to topcoat after that... pale

hope it helps!

I've thought abt using thinner too, but was a bit worried i might accidentally apply too much of it and destroy the pieces/decals..

The next time i drop by any gundam shop i'll grab the one u described and try it out too. I also have a tiny phobia abt topcoating now. But love the matte look of the kit. Haiz. Anyways thanks for ur input too! Very Happy
    ongkh2000
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by ongkh2000 on Thu 15 Nov 2012, 11:49 pm

from my personal experience, i usually apply top coat on a hot sunnyday. appplying several light coats of matt topcoat on the kit. giving each layer roughly 5-10 mins to dry

SGGS Lurker

Post by priller07 on Fri 16 Nov 2012, 12:12 am

ongkh2000 wrote:from my personal experience, i usually apply top coat on a hot sunnyday. appplying several light coats of matt topcoat on the kit. giving each layer roughly 5-10 mins to dry

U're right. Weather plays a major role man. This experience taught me a really valuable lesson.. Embarassed I'll just take it easy next time and spray coat by coat, lightly. I just worry i didn't spray evenly, thus the overspraying. Lesson learned. surrender
    chocofalcon
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Post by chocofalcon on Fri 16 Nov 2012, 1:37 am

Actually, this is a very good lesson for everyone. Especially for newcomers who just started this hobby. I am sure most of them won't know how frosting looks like or how it even happened...
    I am thinking it would be good if admin can relocate/create new tread showing common problems face by newbies in future... place it as one of the top post so they won't miss it. Smile
    epsilondelta24
    SGGS Supreme Member
    SGGS Supreme Member

Post by epsilondelta24 on Fri 16 Nov 2012, 3:29 am

chocofalcon wrote:Actually, this is a very good lesson for everyone. Especially for newcomers who just started this hobby. I am sure most of them won't know how frosting looks like or how it even happened...
    I am thinking it would be good if admin can relocate/create new tread showing common problems face by newbies in future... place it as one of the top post so they won't miss it. Smile

indeed.. that would be a great idea.
    priller07
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by priller07 on Fri 16 Nov 2012, 5:21 am

chocofalcon wrote:Actually, this is a very good lesson for everyone. Especially for newcomers who just started this hobby. I am sure most of them won't know how frosting looks like or how it even happened...

Totally agree with u. Great idea man. Will certainly help newbies like me alot. I know there's still much to learn like shading, scribing, moulding, etc.. I'm slowly sifting thru the forum to get new ideas or tips. I appreciate the advices given and time spent reading my comments and also passing on some tips. Thanks again people! good Idea
    sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by sliver on Fri 16 Nov 2012, 7:00 am

@chocofalcon, epsilondelta, priller07: 'sticky-ed' this thread under the 'basic' tutorial section.

thank you for your suggestion. Smile

Sprig
    SGGS Members
    SGGS Members

Post by Sprig on Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:18 pm

i using gundam marker to draw my line n it like unable to dry
    So which brand of topcoat is good for me ?

zenakus
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by zenakus on Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:20 am

Wow, I've been super curious about topcoating a few of my kits, but so far I haven't had any issues without doing so. I hand brush with acrylic paint and was told a topcoat was good to keep the paint intact. This was helpful information and gave me a since of what to do. I'll post up some pics once I give it a shot.
    Landel
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Post by Landel on Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:32 pm

priller07 I totally totally understand how you feel!

I was doing the exact same model and the exact same thing happened! I really almost cried when it happened. I had experience with matte coat before and I thought frosting could only be a bit. Didn't know Santa Claus and his host of reindeer would decide to drop in with their Christmas cheer... Crying or Very sad

However after panicking for half an hour I decided to use Mr Colour (lacquer) thinner to wipe it off using cotton buds. I actually managed to do so decently, however, wiped too hard on the stickers and the printing on the chest stickers dissolved and wiped off too. In addition to that the glue on the chest stickers also dissolved and now there's silvering. surrender

After cleaning:

Assembled after cleaning:

I would say I managed to salvage it, about 90%, as compared to buying a new kit and spending many hours to sand and detail it again.

Current WIP status (after respraying proper matte coat):

I also think that the can of top coat I used was perhaps bad. Maybe left in the shop for too long? I bought a new can it seemed fine (or at least much better and less frosting) even though also sprayed on a rainy day!

I think I was really lucky I only sprayed a few parts and not the whole Gundam at once...

I am not sure if this method will work if the top coat has cured. Mine was dry after half hour but had not cured for 24 hours so not sure if your results may vary...
    ctingyee
    SGGS Members
    SGGS Members

Post by ctingyee on Sat 19 Jan 2013, 8:02 pm

just an advice, I always spray with topcoat on the leftover plastic kit before actual spray on kit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 May 2017, 2:18 am