Singapore Gunpla Society

Please remember to introduce yourself to everyone before heading off into the other sections.
This is just pure courtesy.

From your ~Admins~
Singapore Gunpla Society

Gundam modelling society located in Singapore for everyone around the world

Dear all, this forum will be shut down in June 2017 due to low activity.

Buying from overseas online stores

StarDus
    SGGS Newbie
    SGGS Newbie

Buying from overseas online stores

Post by StarDus on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:57 pm

Hi all,

Recently, I just tried buying from online store (because the kit & tools I am looking for can't find in S'pore) and would like to share here. Those that are already experts in this field, please kindly correct me or feel free to add more details. Smile

1. I open an account in local bank, apply for debit card, then open an account with Paypal, and link Paypal to my account. Reason for doing this is, should anything happen (like for example your account got hacked), the worst loss is limited to all my monies in the account. Shocked

2. Let's say for example I wanted to get a MG Ver Ka Sinanju. I go to amiami and found that its price is 5,130 Yen (got 25% off)

3. Next I need to know its delivery expense - how heavy it is. I found that its weight in HLJ is 1,120g. Question

4. Going back to amiami, I check under SAL(Unregistered), the shipping cost for up to 1,200g is 1,040 Yen. Suspect

5. That means total I need to pay for the MG Ver Ka Sinanju is 5,130 (price)+ 1,040 (delivery) = 6,170 Yen. A check at XE shows that 6,170 Yen is about SGD 95. good Idea

6. The SRP for the MG Ver Ka Sinanju in S'pore is SGD 149.95. But if you buy online, its SGD 95. That's a saving of about 36.65% off the SRP. What a Face

Last edited by StarDus on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    焱刀良
    Moderators
    Moderators

Re: Buying from overseas online stores

Post by 焱刀良 on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 10:12 pm

buying online would most of the time guarantee a cheaper price then local...
    that is provided if u noe where to find the cheaper ones haha

just the waiting time for shipping lol..

I have no love.
    I feel no pain. No joy. No sorrow.
    I am.. hollow.
    hoyouken
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Post by hoyouken on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 10:28 pm

Thanks for the info. Useful!
    Leo Kaiser
    SGGS Newbie
    SGGS Newbie

Post by Leo Kaiser on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 10:42 pm

But there will always be some risks involved, e.g. the parcel didn't arrive way after the est time, box in no good condition or the parts missing. Hence, need to mental prepare for the worst if something goes wrong.
    StarDus
    SGGS Newbie
    SGGS Newbie

Post by StarDus on Sat 16 Jul 2011, 5:08 pm

@焱刀良, I have always thought buying online from overseas would be much more expensive, as you are paying for the delivery expenses for just one item. But shop buys in bulk and comparatively, their cost would be much lower.

@hoyouken, you are welcome! Smile

@Leo Kaiser, your worries went through my mind too. Have a talk with a senior modeller yesterday (which I feel more relieve now). He bought 3 times from overseas (Japan), not much of a problem. His stuff arrive in about 10 days, and box condition was ok. There are bound to have some dents here and there, but overall, he is pretty satisfied with the box.

Parcel loss is a possible risk, which you have to bear, especially when using SAL. I am not so sensitive about box condition, afterall, what is more important is the kit itself. Parts missing wise, I think I have confidence in Japan's side.

Having said these, please always try to support our local hobby shops. Because without them, I believe you can imagine how inconvenience modeling can be. Shocked

@Lt3r3go
    SGGS Members
    SGGS Members

Post by @Lt3r3go on Sat 16 Jul 2011, 5:44 pm

I have experience both Japan & HK/China online seller/stores and I can say that stuff coming from HK/China tend to be less protected than those from Japan. I always use EMS because of their tracking service and insurance. SAL is safe but once it leaves the place of origin, there is no more tracking.

More importantly, buy from reliable sources that uses proper SSL transaction system. Otherwise, I just use paypal, which allows me to make claim if a transaction doesn't pull through.

1 thing I observed, HK/China hardly update their inventory hence you may order something that is already out of stock. Getting your money back is another story Smile

Stores like HLJ have discount on their shipping services but it is not worth the trouble if you gonna get a common kit that is available locally. The item must be selling at an extremely good price before I consider buying it online. Example, MG 1/100 Sazabi at Y4000 is very cheap + Y2000+ for shipping, you pay about $90+, cheaper if you use SAL. Cheaper than what you can find here..

Now, I follow some simple rule,
    1) buy things that isn't available or hard to get locally.
    2) price of item is attractive, even after including shipping.

anhyeuem
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by anhyeuem on Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:43 am

I always buy from HLJ. Sometimes they have good promotion like PG Strike Freedom abt $300.

or when need these that are not commonly found (various eggplanes)

have bought few times from them and so far so good. Thanks to my postman/woman!

BTW i tried to post the links but error saying its not allow.
    @Lt3r3go
    SGGS Members
    SGGS Members

Post by @Lt3r3go on Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:53 am

PG SF for $300? HAG selling at $309 Smile

dragon5122
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by dragon5122 on Sun 13 Nov 2011, 6:56 pm

Is HLJ safe? Cause I wanna get the HG reborns gundam,they got a discount now.
    Spector1986
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Spector1986 on Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:44 pm

ya.. very safe... even safer than 99% safe.

Come join the Hoot Hoot!!!"More hoots?!" Razz
    DarthYuy
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Nickname: MIA/Dead/Retired
    Friendliness Level:
    0/100  (0/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by DarthYuy on Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:48 pm

dragon5122 wrote:Is HLJ safe? Cause I wanna get the HG reborns gundam,they got a discount now.

Yes, I ordered a few time liao, so far so good.
    The shipping is a killer though, I would advise you to get it locally rather than overseas due to the shipping costs.

piecewise
    SGGS Members
    SGGS Members

Post by piecewise on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:21 am

dragon5122 wrote:Is HLJ safe? Cause I wanna get the HG reborns gundam,they got a discount now.

dragon5122! you got a pm! Smile

Nitcher
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by Nitcher on Sun 20 Nov 2011, 1:36 am

anyone got kit from toy-wave before?
    http://www.toy-wave.com/eng/product.php?table=88
    are they reliable ?
    StarDus
    SGGS Newbie
    SGGS Newbie

Post by StarDus on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 11:07 am

Thanks to the bros (here and from HWZ) whom recommended Peeka! Recently I bought through them from Taobao and the prices were pretty attractive! Very Happy

Sorry I got no picture to show as I was lazy to charge my batteries.

More information for those interested (other details you can read at Peeka site):

1. It takes slightly more than a month, from ordering till the goods arrived at your doorstep.

2. Delivery is by the Peeka (or their engaged transportation agent), not by SingPost. I received mine at around 8:30pm, they will give you a call before they come.

3. You can buy from different Taobao sellers (I bought from two) at one time but must pay for extra transportation fees (for the sellers to delivery the goods to Peeka China collection centre at 广东 (IIRC).

4. Peeka does update me frequently of the status of my items (eg. Items have been ordered with Taobao sellers, items have reached Peeka China collection centre etc)

And I want to compliment Peeka for two incidents. First was my order from one seller was overweight, but Peeka China helps me to negotiate to reduce the extra postage fees to original postage fees. Secondly was, I receive my good, the very same day it reaches Singapore!

My advise for those wishing to order via Peeka, get those small items (like tools, metal parts, decals etc) as Economic shipping is based on dimensions.

There are also other intermediate agents like daigou65 (which I have not try before) that maybe as good as, or even better than Peeka. Do your homework before you place your orders, and do remember that there are always risks when you buy online.

Now please excuse me as I am going to plan for my next purchase~ Smile
    ongkh2000
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by ongkh2000 on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 6:34 pm

BO JIO!! Mad

SGGS Newbie

Post by StarDus on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:50 pm

ongkh2000 wrote:BO JIO!! Mad

Oops sorry, my bad, bro Ong... Embarassed
    epsilondelta24
    SGGS Supreme Member
    SGGS Supreme Member

Post by epsilondelta24 on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 1:52 pm

StarDus wrote:Thanks to the bros (here and from HWZ) whom recommended Peeka! Recently I bought through them from Taobao and the prices were pretty attractive! Very Happy

More information for those interested (other details you can read at Peeka site):

1. It takes slightly more than a month, from ordering till the goods arrived at your doorstep.

2. Delivery is by the Peeka (or their engaged transportation agent), not by SingPost. I received mine at around 8:30pm, they will give you a call before they come.

3. You can buy from different Taobao sellers (I bought from two) at one time but must pay for extra transportation fees (for the sellers to delivery the goods to Peeka China collection centre at 广东 (IIRC).

4. Peeka does update me frequently of the status of my items (eg. Items have been ordered with Taobao sellers, items have reached Peeka China collection centre etc)

And I want to compliment Peeka for two incidents. First was my order from one seller was overweight, but Peeka China helps me to negotiate to reduce the extra postage fees to original postage fees. Secondly was, I receive my good, the very same day it reaches Singapore!

My advise for those wishing to order via Peeka, get those small items (like tools, metal parts, decals etc) as Economic shipping is based on dimensions.

There are also other intermediate agents like daigou65 (which I have not try before) that maybe as good as, or even better than Peeka. Do your homework before you place your orders, and do remember that there are always risks when you buy online.

hi, I want to ask a few things about peeka... I'm planning to buy these 2 items :
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=9813215889 (MG Destiny Decal)
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=1353248231 (MG Strike Freedom Decal)

that's a total of around S$ 20, plus a handling fee of S$ 5, and if I choose economic shipping it will be around S$ 31 right?

now my question is, since I'm living in NUS student residence, every mail I receive will be redirected to management office (if it can't be inserted to mail box), which closes at 6 PM daily. based on your experience, they deliver the item at 8:30 PM, then what will happen to my item? will they call me and ask me to go down and receive my items directly?
    aucheukyan
    SGGS Members
    SGGS Members

Post by aucheukyan on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 4:05 pm

epsilondelta24 wrote:
    StarDus wrote:Thanks to the bros (here and from HWZ) whom recommended Peeka! Recently I bought through them from Taobao and the prices were pretty attractive! Very Happy

hi, I want to ask a few things about peeka... I'm planning to buy these 2 items :

that's a total of around S$ 20, plus a handling fee of S$ 5, and if I choose economic shipping it will be around S$ 31 right?

now my question is, since I'm living in NUS student residence, every mail I receive will be redirected to management office (if it can't be inserted to mail box), which closes at 6 PM daily. based on your experience, they deliver the item at 8:30 PM, then what will happen to my item? will they call me and ask me to go down and receive my items directly?

you can request to collect from post office,
    see here.

I personally prefer 1999.co.jp because they got points system, if you buy a kit you can use the points to buy some misc. decals or koto parts in your next purchase with the points, if you save enough you might get a free kit!!! Very Happy
    epsilondelta24
    SGGS Supreme Member
    SGGS Supreme Member

Post by epsilondelta24 on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 4:18 pm

aucheukyan wrote:
    epsilondelta24 wrote:

you can request to collect from post office,
    see here.

I personally prefer 1999.co.jp because they got points system, if you buy a kit you can use the points to buy some misc. decals or koto parts in your next purchase with the points, if you save enough you might get a free kit!!! Very Happy

the problem is, they don't have what I'm looking for... Sad

btw, I saw MG Strike Freedom decal on tatsuhobby.com, has anyone here ever ordered from that site?
    Spector1986
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Spector1986 on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 4:36 pm

Which student residences u stay sia??!?!??!

epsilondelta24
    SGGS Supreme Member
    SGGS Supreme Member

Post by epsilondelta24 on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 4:47 pm

Spector1986 wrote:Which student residences u stay sia??!?!??!

Prince George's Park, right above the main foyer.. Smile
    Spector1986
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Spector1986 on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 4:53 pm

Lol can take A2 bus go find u.. Very Happy

epsilondelta24
    SGGS Supreme Member
    SGGS Supreme Member

Post by epsilondelta24 on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 5:35 pm

Spector1986 wrote:Lol can take A2 bus go find u.. Very Happy

haha... where do you live?

btw, anyone tried 65daigou.com ? I tried simulating the same purchase there, if I choose air mail, it would be around S$ 31, but it only takes 5-13 days (according to their web), while at peeka.sg I can only choose economic shipping for that price, which is > 2 weeks...
    Spector1986
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Spector1986 on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 5:43 pm

I have always bought from peeka.sg
    I can say I am very very satisfied by their good service..

Haha.. I don't stay there.. Just usually visit a friend who is staying at Ridge View Residences..

epsilondelta24
    SGGS Supreme Member
    SGGS Supreme Member

Post by epsilondelta24 on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 5:49 pm

Spector1986 wrote:I have always bought from peeka.sg
    I can say I am very very satisfied by their good service..

Haha.. I don't stay there.. Just usually visit a friend who is staying at Ridge View Residences..

I see... from what StarDus said, his item's delivery took over 1 month, while I think I'll leave Sg around May 3-6 (slightly over 1 month from now), so I think it's not a good idea for me to choose that shipping option...

However, if I choose the 7 days express, it would reach a total of around S$ 40, which is overpriced for 2 sheets of decals... Shocked

I googled what I wanted to buy, and found out that tatsuhobby.com has a restock for MG Strike Freedom decal from bandai, which is priced at US$ 6.85 (shipping fee of US$ 3), so that would be a total of around US$ 10 (around S$ 13), and that's for 1 decal... too bad they don't have MG Destiny decal.. Crying or Very sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 May 2017, 2:19 am