Singapore Gunpla Society

Please remember to introduce yourself to everyone before heading off into the other sections.
This is just pure courtesy.

From your ~Admins~
Singapore Gunpla Society

Gundam modelling society located in Singapore for everyone around the world

Dear all, this forum will be shut down in June 2017 due to low activity.

Sanding is a real messy job

gooberdz
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Sanding is a real messy job

Post by gooberdz on Mon 20 Oct 2014, 8:13 pm

What do you do to keep things clean when you're sanding or cutting of nub marks?

I just started practicing sanding off nub marks, and its just such a mess. I also noticed that I was breathing in a lot of dust particles while doing this. That got me rather worried and I put on my new respirator (which was meant to protect myself from inhaling the fumes from spraying top coat)

Is there anything that you guys do to manage the dust? Do you use a mask while sanding? Is sanding with water a better solution?

Also, what sandpaper do you use to achieve the same shine on the plastic after removing the nubs? Because my 6 sided nail file + using 1200 grit sand paper still leaves some really small visible scratches even though its been buffed and feels totally ok.

Thanks!

sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Nickname: Mighty Banhammer
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Re: Sanding is a real messy job

Post by sliver on Mon 20 Oct 2014, 9:24 pm

Wetsanding would address yr concern to a large extend. And cleaner for yr surrounding, less cleaning up.

For yr concern abt the nubmarks, u might wan to refer to the tutorial by landel bro here
    Hope it helps

dydee
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Fun Facts
    Nickname: Dee Chen
    Friendliness Level:
    50/100  (50/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by dydee on Mon 20 Oct 2014, 10:03 pm

get proper sand paper for wet sanding though. Buffing stick might lose most of its abrasive particles when in contact with water(at least that's what happened to mine).

gooberdz
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by gooberdz on Mon 20 Oct 2014, 11:36 pm

sliver wrote:Wetsanding would address yr concern to a large extend. And cleaner for yr surrounding, less cleaning up.

For yr concern abt the nubmarks, u might wan to refer to the tutorial by landel bro here
    Hope it helps

do you do wet sanding? What's your setup like?

gooberdz
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by gooberdz on Mon 20 Oct 2014, 11:39 pm

dydee wrote:get proper sand paper for wet sanding though. Buffing stick might lose most of its abrasive particles when in contact with water(at least that's what happened to mine).

any idea where I can find it? I tried home fix but they only carry 100 -200 grit types.
    sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Nickname: Mighty Banhammer
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by sliver on Tue 21 Oct 2014, 12:33 am

gooberdz wrote:
    sliver wrote:Wetsanding would address yr concern to a large extend. And cleaner for yr surrounding, less cleaning up.

Hope it helps

do you do wet sanding? What's your setup like?

Setup? Eh.. not sure e correct way but i dip my sandpaper in water and use the wet sandpaper to sand the surface.

dydee
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    50/100  (50/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by dydee on Tue 21 Oct 2014, 11:44 am

gooberdz wrote:
    dydee wrote:get proper sand paper for wet sanding though. Buffing stick might lose most of its abrasive particles when in contact with water(at least that's what happened to mine).

any idea where I can find it? I tried home fix but they only carry 100 -200 grit types.

standard place to be looking for them(tamiya 400+600+1000 set) would be our local hobby shops.
    Hobby Art @ Work, Hobby Art Gallery, Hobby point.
    u can also try Artfriend.

cut them up into smaller strips and glue onto an ice cream stick to use for most flat surface much like a file.
    Prefer to dap some water on my finger & rub it onto the abrasive surface, then drop some more on it before sanding. will only rub with water each time i see that the abrasive side is clogged with plastic particles when wet sanding.

gooberdz
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by gooberdz on Tue 21 Oct 2014, 4:55 pm

dydee wrote:
    gooberdz wrote:

standard place to be looking for them(tamiya 400+600+1000 set) would be our local hobby shops.
    Hobby Art @ Work, Hobby Art Gallery, Hobby point.
    u can also try Artfriend.

cut them up into smaller strips and glue onto an ice cream stick to use for most flat surface much like a file.
    Prefer to dap some water on my finger & rub it onto the abrasive surface, then drop some more on it before sanding. will only rub with water each time i see that the abrasive side is clogged with plastic particles when wet sanding.

Thanks a lot. I'm already using 1200 grit but yet I still see scratches. Are these small scratches going to be an issue?
    celeron787
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Post by celeron787 on Tue 21 Oct 2014, 7:50 pm

Usually I only sand up till 600 grit. I start off with a metal file or 300 grit then work up to 600 wet sand. Gets the job done, no obvious deep scratches after priming.
    dydee
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    50/100  (50/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by dydee on Tue 21 Oct 2014, 11:16 pm

gooberdz wrote:
    Thanks a lot. I'm already using 1200 grit but yet I still see scratches. Are these small scratches going to be an issue?

the problem isnt about already using 1200, it is more about the build up. u have to sand by gliding n not pure pressure with every lower grit, make sure u dont end up with deep cuts what will still end up as shallow scratches as u further sand with higher & higher grits. like celeron mention it wont be a problem if u're painting ur kit. coz the primer will patch those up. i also stop at 600 ever since i picked up modding.

if they are just hairline scratches i dun think they will be an issue with panel line washing lah, if that's the issure u're talking about. take a spoon n sand until what u get on ur parts. then just do a wash n check if it is getting stain? if u wan its to be perfectly clear of scratches like the original plastic surface. u would really need to invest on compound to polish from coarse to fine to finish. getting compound will be overkill considering u're gonna flat coat it later.

gooberdz
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by gooberdz on Wed 22 Oct 2014, 1:01 pm

dydee wrote:
    gooberdz wrote:

the problem isnt about already using 1200, it is more about the build up. u have to sand by gliding n not pure pressure with every lower grit, make sure u dont end up with deep cuts what will still end up as shallow scratches as u further sand with higher & higher grits. like celeron mention it wont be a problem if u're painting ur kit. coz the primer will patch those up. i also stop at 600 ever since i picked up modding.

if they are just hairline scratches i dun think they will be an issue with panel line washing lah, if that's the issure u're talking about. take a spoon n sand until what u get on ur parts. then just do a wash n check if it is getting stain? if u wan its to be perfectly clear of scratches like the original plastic surface. u would really need to invest on compound to polish from coarse to fine to finish. getting compound will be overkill considering u're gonna flat coat it later.  

Thanks again. Great guide and never knew there were that many factors to sanding!

burpster
    SGGS Newbie
    SGGS Newbie

Post by burpster on Thu 23 Oct 2014, 5:34 pm

Wait till u start seam line removal....
    And masking for painting....
    surrender

gooberdz
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by gooberdz on Thu 23 Oct 2014, 6:50 pm

burpster wrote:Wait till u start seam line removal....
    And masking for painting....
    surrender
    yah seam lines appear to be easy but when there are nooks and crannies it gets pretty tough. Painting maybe not so soon I guess.

rvn85
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by rvn85 on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:58 pm

i used to use metal files to file off the larger nub bumps. they tend to be faster but you need to be careful with your speed or you might over-sand. As for the mess, wet sanding is a better choice when it comes to cleaning up after.

as for the seamlines, you will need to use a finer sandpaper like what the bros recommended. they are easily available at some of the more "neighbourhood" hardware stores.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 May 2017, 2:15 am