Singapore Gunpla Society

Please remember to introduce yourself to everyone before heading off into the other sections.
This is just pure courtesy.

From your ~Admins~
Singapore Gunpla Society

Gundam modelling society located in Singapore for everyone around the world

Dear all, this forum will be shut down in June 2017 due to low activity.

Hand Painting please helllppppp!!!!

Dlkckai
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Hand Painting please helllppppp!!!!

Post by Dlkckai on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 2:53 am

Hi all!! new to this hobby and trying out on painting my first gundam. Ok here is the question Very Happy
    For hand painting right, can use any type of brand right for acrylic paint?? or die die must use tamiya de paint uh??
    then hor need wait how long then it will dry uh
    sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Nickname: Mighty Banhammer
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Re: Hand Painting please helllppppp!!!!

Post by sliver on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 6:59 am

Hi there!

If u r looking for handpainting acrylic paints, its not necessary to only use tamiya acrylic paints, some use lifecolors, citadel, and among some hobbyist, they like using vallejo paint just to name few.

For the curing time, it depends on how thin/thick a coat u have applied, some will thin their paint before painting, basically the thinner the paint, the faster the drying time. When in doubt, do wait abit longer and do not use your fingers to 'test' if the paint has dried as it might end up w your fingerprints on it.
    My 2 cents

dydee
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Fun Facts
    Nickname: Dee Chen
    Friendliness Level:
    50/100  (50/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by dydee on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 10:19 am

if u're asking about other acrylic paint paints found in larger quantity like those found in art supplier stores, probably not at least when i tried last time(they just totally flake off).

those other brands sliver mentioned are of scale modeling purpose acrylic, Tamiya being more common within our S.E.A. region.  

there's a trick to see if it dries. just paint on a piece of left over runner after ur parts. since its the last thing u paint. if the runner is dry to the touch and does not leave any prints. chances are ur parts painted earlier would be too(handle with care just to be sure).

------------------------------------------
    here's some other additional information.
    -yes u do need to thin out ur paint, so u need to get acrylic paint thinner.
    -its pretty hard to get a nice consistent coat in one go, do it in a few thin layers. let them dry between layers.
    -optional, i prefer priming the parts prior to painting. main reason being i mod my kits, but the other advantages are to help the paint stick better to the kit and lastly its easier to check the consistency of ur paint coats when its on a grey / white base. but its optional, there are modeller who just paint on the plastic too.

since u're new, watch this video. practice on a some old plastic toy with a lot of details u dont want, if u still don't fill confident yet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8VGup5b0bA

some discussion about priming and hand painting
    http://www.sggunplasociety.com/t1437-sand-after-priming-gaia-paint-good-for-handpainting-too-thick-primer-coating-that-parts-can-t-fit-snap-together?highlight=handpainting

sliver u're not a hand painter??
    sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by sliver on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 11:56 am

@dydee: i only handpaint some details for e kits, esp for parts tat i'm lazy to mask ( i am a lazy to the max kinda person).
    For warhammer, i use handpaint though. Progress has been akin snailspeed for wh.. lol

Dlkckai
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by Dlkckai on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 12:17 pm

thanks for all of your comment! It really help !. But as for the thinner, can i just just water or it's a must to use thinner?
    sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by sliver on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 12:21 pm

Water can be used to thin acrylic paint.

Dlkckai
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by Dlkckai on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 12:45 pm

At first, I tested on an old model of mine

currently i am experimenting on my justice backpack wings. Dare not to try it on the actual model \

I have been painting it horizontally and vertically after each coating, is there something that i did wrong??

And as for the brand of the paint i use this

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/18/99/72/02/20140916.jpg

It's stated on the tube that it's for hobby purposes. Is it good?? search online founded non of this brand being use on models
    Do i have to change to another brand?

Thanks!!

Dlkckai
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by Dlkckai on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 12:46 pm

sliver wrote:Water can be used to thin acrylic paint.
    Thanks for the infomation!!
    sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by sliver on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 6:13 pm

Not sure abt the brand u r using, u bought it locally?
    Can share what brush are u using?

Dlkckai
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by Dlkckai on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 11:33 pm

sliver wrote:Not sure abt the brand u r using, u bought it locally?
    Can share what brush are u using?

For the brand of the paint i am not so sure. Should be locally cause i receive it from my friend.

As for the brush would be these 5 of them. The blacks and red brush i just brought it on Thursday. As for the other 2 i used it on my primary school days Embarassed
    For the 2 black brush, their brands should be GNR1 OMNI GOLDEN NYLON ROUND, the red one should be PICASSO G10R. I just type out what the words are inked in the brush. For the other 2 i have no idea Embarassed

This is another of my experiment please feel free to give opinion so i that can improve

And another quick question. Is there a further step after i achieve the coat of the paint that i desire?? And if so, where can i buy such items?? Popular or hobby stores??
    sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by sliver on Sun 14 Sep 2014, 12:34 am

Cant really see e finishing fr e pic. Did u prime e parts first?

For small details, i usually use sth akin yr red brush.
    A step after u achieved yr desired paint.. some will give e part a topcoat to 'seal' color. Its up to individual though.

Dlkckai
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by Dlkckai on Sun 14 Sep 2014, 12:52 am

Prime as in using sand paper right?? Yup i did it. But for the narrow part of the model its quite tedious to actually sand it. And some parts i just couldn't sand it. Any advice??
    As for the sandpaper i use those that i found in my drawer. Is it recommended to buy a actually polishing stick?? And if so what roughness should i use. Currently using a P150 ones.
    dydee
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    50/100  (50/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by dydee on Sun 14 Sep 2014, 3:11 am

priming parts in scale modeling sense actually means to spray on a "primer" that will prepare for a better surface for paint to be applied on.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXI6bwQ0mFA
    i can see where the misconception is, sanding does create a rough surface, but ppl usually sand to prepare for priming. dont really have to sand everything for priming bah. small areas u cannot reach just let them be. unless u're talking about removing seam lines in those hard to reach areas.. tat will be another story for another time. sand paper i have the standard set of p400 p600 p1000 from tamiya. if that p150 actually means 150 girt, then its too rough for surface work. we keep a set for different girt for different purpose. 400 girt to quickly remove nub areas, 600 girt to level out the deep cuts made by p400. lastly p1000 to smooth out the surface. its kinda like different gears on a car ? lol. i dun buy sanding sticks. just glue the sand paper on ice cream sticks.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

these are the brushes i have for detail painting. there are the cheapest set i found at artfriend. used the largest one for the demo below. a thing to keep note is that the brush has to be rather soft with very fine hair to not leave too much brush marks. ur red brush looks good for the job. and also the bigger the brush the faster u cover more area.

this was the brand i use years back to test. since i have it anyway, i will re-demo how i did it last time using a terrible bootleg blitz.
    the instruction says 1hr to cure between coats. but for the thin layers im doing, 8-10mins will do(remember what i said about using a runner to check)  
    i did quick strokes barely any pressure and touching the parts barely with the tip of the brush only in one direction one way when u got top down, u stay top down. dun go top down followed by down up and top then top down.

layer 1 i hope u can see how thin it really has to be for each layer.

layer2 yupz, u were correct about painting it in different directions of the next few coats.

layer3 i did it diagonally this time, it looks shiny coz paint still wet. u should also notice at this point how the thinned paint fills up all those details, just remember to run ur brush into them and "pull out" the paint of of those details for every layer(from layer 1)"

layer4 the other diagonal direction same thing with the details.

layer5 i applied a little paint on the area i find looks inconstant(areas where paint looks thin), then i use my brush dappled into a little water and started to spread the paint from those areas(meaning to say no need to follow the in one direction for now until paint is evenly spread), this layer i did not wait for a full cure. around 4-5mins in i dappled my brush with some more water smooth out the semi dry paint(back to one direction only).  NOTE if u use a dry brush to run over the semi cure surface, u're just gonna add brush stroke marks.

layer6 repeat what i did for layer 5 after it has dried.

-------------------------------------

keynote

-it really takes patience to hand paint, if a good finish if what u want.
    -top coat wont help much if the paint surface is badly done.
    -welcome to the world of gunpla where we actually take much longer to build a kit in reality as compared to Build Fighters. lol . aiya there's a lot to learn, read up, ask, so if u don't give up, u will surely learn them all in time. that said, I'm actually a noob at painting XD
    -have fun!

Dlkckai
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by Dlkckai on Sun 14 Sep 2014, 3:02 pm

Haha that actually help alot!! Thanks for the time you took out just to explaining it to me i really appreciate it!! With picture to illustrate i think i might do a better job now! thanks bro!
    Btw for the paint at the 2nd pic, did you thin it or just use it straight from the bottle??
    dydee
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    50/100  (50/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by dydee on Sun 14 Sep 2014, 4:40 pm

Dlkckai wrote:Haha that actually help alot!! Thanks for the time you took out just to explaining it to me i really appreciate it!! With picture to illustrate i think i might do a better job now! thanks bro!
    Btw for the paint at the 2nd pic, did you thin it or just use it straight from the bottle??

Every Layer is Thinned. just that i was doing it the lazy method. I dont really have a magic ratio for thinning this acrylic.
    lazy method being i took a tiny bit of paint from the metal dish, apply on the plastic. then wet the brush and run it over to smooth out the paint. its looks thick in tat layer one picture? but if u look at the 2nd layer picture, u should understand that even with 2 layers of paint the black of the plastic is showing through quite a bit, that's just how thin it should be. hope u can get the thinner done correctly with more practice on older models(lol why is ur Riser kit older then ur Infinite Justice)

btw to check if u have smoothout the paint nicely, look at the glimmer spot of reflected light on the surface. thanks to the curve surface of the part in this demo, the glimmer spot can be easily seen.

another thing to note, the quick stoke method i use will be kinda messy and more for covering larger area instead of detail painting. so best u disassemble ur parts to paint separately like the last picture. u can blutack the parts to a satay stick.

Dlkckai
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by Dlkckai on Sun 14 Sep 2014, 5:04 pm

Haha noted! Thanks for the explanation! As for the model itself i brought 00 raiser before the justice:oops:
    Oh and for the primer right, can i get it at stores such as popular or even NTUC, or it's only available in hobby's stores??
    guess i mess up my justice jetpack T_T( Ignore the yellow part Embarassed )

dydee
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    50/100  (50/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by dydee on Sun 14 Sep 2014, 5:44 pm

that picture is a pretty good indication that u're rushing things.. LOL
    u only asked the question yesterday and before even digesting what we wrote you jumped to painting on the actual kit. what happen to testing on old kit?
    that's super thick....

i know u're new, so here's a tip to using this forum. u see the search bar over on the right >> column? type ur question or keywords. coz some of ur question might have already been asked before. if u dont know how primer looks like what brand there are what does our buddies here use, just search. if there's no image to the item. Google. dont know how it should be done. Youtube.
    also go browse thought the basic/im/advance tutorial section here.

primer can get from hardware store, artfriend, hobby store.  

anyway it is kinda hard to cheap out in this hobby as far as painting supplies goes if u want a good finish. as a friend of mine always say, "the most expensive part of this hobby is not the kit but the supplies" i cheap out on specialize tools by making them, but gave up on finding alternative primer & paints.

Dlkckai
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by Dlkckai on Sun 14 Sep 2014, 5:59 pm

Guess i am too over confident T_T. Lesson learn never rush into things haha! However i really appericiate all the advice yall have given me and i would try my best to get the kit paint job done Very Happy
    shopping time tomorrow haha!!
    dydee
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    50/100  (50/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by dydee on Sun 14 Sep 2014, 6:23 pm

lol.. again! so fast rushing to buy things tml?
    primer - brands? how to spray?
    paint - brands? types(acrylic, lacquer, enamel) sum it up only acrylic can thin with water. the other type of paints will need their respective thinner types or zippo. so ask/check the paint u gotten is acrylic not. if not either tat bottle is wasted or u need to buy tat thinner type liao. and the different types dont mix.
    thinner - brand? types(acrylic, lacquer, enamel)
    topcoat - brands?

at least research and try to understand all these before buying all the wrong stuff and wasting money. if u're gg to get paint from a hobby store, can ask & clarify lah. yes u can stick with that acrylic paint ur friend pass to you, i believe it is still very possible to achieve a very good finish with non scale modeling purpose acrylic after the demo i did, but u need to keep practicing i guess. if u're getting stuff like topcoats & primer from hardware store and artfriend chances are u're on your own.

-some old guy nagging.

Dlkckai
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by Dlkckai on Sun 14 Sep 2014, 7:42 pm

Haha nagging is good! Like that will have a better learning experience mah!!
    Currently i am researching on what brand of primer should i get.
    Spraying part i should be good to go. Used to spray my old bikes hehe. The technique still the same bah.
    As for thinner, think i will stick to water first bah. Get the hang of how to paint then go for thinner as well as a better branded paint.
    Would research on this kind of things first lah. If really cnt find anwser then i ask back to you ok Embarassed
    Or i can go ask the hobby stores people haha!

Dlkckai
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by Dlkckai on Sun 14 Sep 2014, 11:40 pm

Well since i already did what i did, might as well try to make it better Embarassed

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/18/99/72/02/20140926.jpg
    Did what you showed on how to paint.. What do you think?? Good job, Normal or bad??
    Will try to improve on stroking Embarassed
    dalvinho
    SGGS Supreme Member
    SGGS Supreme Member

Post by dalvinho on Sun 14 Sep 2014, 11:46 pm

Hiiii, I am also a handpainter like you. I started handpainting only about early last year (still got miles long more to learn). So maybe just some tips to share from my beginner point.

Number 1 rule in starting out. Don't be afraid to try. And by try I mean like what the rest advice you above. Try to paint over the leftover runner, or old model kits to get an idea of how your paint works. If you don't have any, plastic spoons do the trick too. It's better to have the mistake on the these, than on your beloved model. Trust me...It'll save you more work in the future if you have good grasp of your painting skills, than having to remove paint off your work later.

As for paint thinning wise, there is no golden ratio to use. Not just for the brands, but even for the colors within the brands. Personally I stick to Tamiya paints. And because I paint 1/144 kits, I thin my paints by counting the droplets. And one thing I've come to realize is that different color of paints requires a different thinning ratio. Like Metallic colors requires less thinning than flat colors in general. And within the flat colors range, it also differs. Eg. I use a 3 drop paint to 1 drop water for Black, but I use a 2 to 1 drop ratio for Red. That's why I say its all about trying. You need to try to know the consistency of the paint you have, then you can paint it.

And for the painting wise, the layering method is definitely the best. Yes it takes abit more time, but it gives a much better finish than you slopping a blotch of paint onto the piece. So have the patience, apply one layer, WAIT FOR IT TO DRY COMPLETELY, then apply the next. Rushing the painting process will only screw you up more.

To know when the paint has dried, I use this method. I always try to work in a place/time when there is as much light as possible (like mornings and afternoon). I will always hold the piece at an angle, such that the light reflects off it to allow me to see the WET painted surface on the piece. It takes abit of tilting here and there, but when you see it you will understand what I mean. This way after I have painted, I will leave it to dry, then just check by tilting the piece again at the same angle as before to see if the paint has fully dried. This is because just seeing from Top Down angle doesn't actually allow you to see clear the wet surface. It's abit more time consuming, but I feel its much better way.

And also...this is a method I "developed" myself. I dunnoe if I am wrong on this, so the others here please correct me if I am wrong. During my practice, I find that the reason behind why different color gradients will appear on a piece that I painted with just one color is because of the difference in drying time. Like when you paint a piece, especially a large piece, you will see some parts the color after drying is darker than the others. I experimented and found out that its probably due to the paints drying at different times. Like even though you are painting the whole surface at the same time, depending on how wet/dry your brush is, sometimes certain areas becomes more wet, and dries slower, leaving a lighter color. And it becomes an eyesore when you look at a piece you've painted, then there's just this little bits here and there that are of a different gradient than the rest.

The method I use to correct this is this. I take a finer brush, so that I can paint only the lighter area as much as possible. Then I will paint over just that area, and I slowly blow dry it myself. Yes physically blow. I blow because in my room the fan is too far from my work desk. If you happen to have the fan near, by all means use it. I use this to hasten the drying process so that I can keep redoing this, and physically see the color become darker until overall it blends together in the whole piece, without having to wait hours for the piece to dry before painting the next layer. Of course this method should be used only for like small areas, like not the whole piece. I use it more of when I am touching up, like after the whole piece has gotten the color, and only little spots here and there are missing out.

Yupz that what i can recall for now. Hopefully we can all learn to handpaint together and share whatever knowledge we have acquired Smile
    dalvinho
    SGGS Supreme Member
    SGGS Supreme Member

Post by dalvinho on Sun 14 Sep 2014, 11:50 pm

Haha you added another post as I was typing the previous.

Just my comment. Your picture isn't very focused to see the piece clearly. But for strokes wise, brush strokes appear on the piece when your paint is too diluted. Diluted paint means that there is too much water that allows the paint to flow when you are brushing it on, causing the lines you see. So yup play around with the thinning ratio, and practicing more on the brushing will help eventually!

Dlkckai
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by Dlkckai on Mon 15 Sep 2014, 12:02 am

Haha hi Dalvin!! Hmm thanks for your commend will note it down Very Happy Very Happy
    As for the previous post i feel that i am getting the hang of the stroking but not that good:oops: . Just the thinning of the paint part i am struggling bah. Will play around with the thinner and the paint whenever i get the chance on a plastic spoon haha! Will post the final product if i get the chance haha. Might take 1-2 Months haha!!! If i've got any more question will ask again:D
    Thanks again:)
    Kazzu
    SGGS Newbie
    SGGS Newbie

Post by Kazzu on Tue 16 Sep 2014, 2:55 pm

a question re:hand painting, i want to achieve a metallic/titanium finish like color for my sinanju but i am only doing hand/brush painting, can it be done? I've read somewhere that doing a coat of chrome silver and then putting clear red would do the trick for spray paint but can i also do the same procedure for brush painting?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 May 2017, 2:19 am