Singapore Gunpla Society

Please remember to introduce yourself to everyone before heading off into the other sections.
This is just pure courtesy.

From your ~Admins~
Singapore Gunpla Society

Gundam modelling society located in Singapore for everyone around the world

Dear all, this forum will be shut down in June 2017 due to low activity.

Tutorial : recasting with poly putty. LED HG 1/144 head.

dydee
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Fun Facts
    Nickname: Dee Chen
    Friendliness Level:
    50/100  (50/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Tutorial : recasting with poly putty. LED HG 1/144 head.

Post by dydee on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 2:58 pm

Thanks to a master modeler, i found this clip again.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEND77k95uc

Did a quick search and a there was hardly any review on this material.
    currently using Tamiya poly putty. I chose poly putty for a couple of reasons i know and also found out along the way.

#1 i have very thin, fine and deep details i wanna cast.
    #2 casting resin proves to be too expensive to acquired and always in large quantities.
    #3 expoy putty, tamiya, bondit, milliput are great. but due to how "hard" they are. it will tend to resist displacement. so if u had too much in the mould and try to squeeze the excess out especially for 2 piece mould, either the piece gets warped or u get a shifted seam. so placing the correct amount in important.
    #4 poly putty hardens to a styrene like consistency. easier to cut and sculpt. excess can be squeeze out of the mould rather easily. only done side is air bubbles, which i figure out how to counter below.

note: tamiya's poly putty isn't exactly cheap, but since i bought it to test the other time. i brought it out to try anyway. and body knows where i can get automotive poly putty in SG?

I wanted to recast a whole 1/144 head for the purpose of lighting it up with a single SMD ( surface mount diode a.k.a mini LED) As with most HG 1/144, the eyes, front and camera lens are cast in solid opaque plastic. thus i went of the option of recasting as not to damage the original piece.

Mould Making
    choice of material: Oyumaru

this is a tricky re cast with thin areas, so some proper planning is needed. for the front piece of the head armor. i mould it with Oyumaru from the back filling up the space from behind. doing so prevents the 2nd half of the mould from flowing behind complicating the extraction process. i trimmed the excess Oyumaru around the rim with a knife to limit the fleshing close to the edge. did some locating hole impression so that the other half of the mould can lock in position. And also the back of this 1/2 of the mould fits into the dolphin mould for added stiffness when casting later on. The back halve of the head armor in the background shows the Oyuaru embedded into the dolphin mould. the next step for these two piece is just doing up the 2nd halves of the mould.

Casting
    second casting was not that bad. most of the detail got picked up. except those that is too narrow, deep and also where tiny bubbles formed. my solution for this is to mix a another batch of poly putty and fill in those hole, followed by putting them back into the mould again & squeeze. its not perfect, with maybe some thin layer of overflow visible over the surface, but the material is easy to contour with a knife and sandpaper.

Patch casting

mix a batch of poly putty add a tiny drop of mr thinner to soften the paste make it easier to flow into all the flawed areas. apply into the messed up area on the cast and inside the mould. try to put just enough.

first cast of the v fin on the right totally didnt make it as i didnt put enough and i just kinda cut out the messed up area. second cast in the center after patch casting.

i did more recasting in case i screw up anywhere, all coming out with some flaw but at least i know its all patchable. dug out a hole where all the lens would be locate with a pin vice and narrow blade.

i place the piece back into the mould and drop a tiny bit of clear epoxy into the hole. i know it will yellow over time so i made sure that the casted lens would be thin. tiny bubbles didnt matter as i was planning to use holographic screen over the piece (those use for phone) i'm trying to sculpt the poly putty recast still to resemble the legend just a bit. but that's for later update.

original age fx head > milliput + clear epoxy > full poly putty cast > original legend head

troubleshoot

if for some reason the cast didnt harden (too little hardener, putty too old). dig it out as it will nv hardener for the next 24 hr after 4hrs of cure time. and i dunno for how long more. anyway, just dig out the paste.

just add mr thinner and brush away all the bits u cannot dig out. the putty wont be soluble in water so dun even try. keep repeating and pouring out the wash until u think its clean enough.

this is how i make the most of the tube. rolling pin!

Light show!

i probably have to paint the interior black first before doing those lens in clear epoxy. but thats too late now. will have to paint the exterior with a coat of black base and dim the lights. but in any case. the poly putty cast was almost a perfect fit along the lines.

some extra photages

#1 messed up milliput casting, shaved down and encased in clear epoxy.

#2 clear epoxy eye piece!

#3 the reason i had a plaster on my left thumb. capped the damn thing as usual with thumb on the cap. forgot the narrow blade was longer & from another blade holder with a longer cap. and damn! freak accident.

Last edited by dydee on Tue 04 Mar 2014, 11:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
    plar10
    SGGS Supreme Member
    SGGS Supreme Member

Re: Tutorial : recasting with poly putty. LED HG 1/144 head.

Post by plar10 on Sun 02 Mar 2014, 3:19 pm

i find this quite useful. thanks for sharing. 1 qn, what do you use to cast the clear part? those epoxy AB glue?
    dydee
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    50/100  (50/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by dydee on Mon 03 Mar 2014, 2:40 am

yupz ..

i'm using the one above.. but pls dont get it. coz its rather rubbery after curing. i only have this around so i dun mind coz i havent finalize the the cast for the eye piece yet. the one u usually find at diaso cures hard.

progress

this is how i put the 2 halves together without glue. first place blutack away from the edge

then i place more poly putty around the edge & push the other halve into it. spreading the overflow on the surface to fill any gaps.

pull out the blutack after curing. and sand away.

simwb90
    SGGS Newbie
    SGGS Newbie

Post by simwb90 on Sun 20 Apr 2014, 12:31 pm

i know this is an old thread but mind sharing where you got the Oyumura?
    i wanna get a set too to try =)
    thanks~
    dydee
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    50/100  (50/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by dydee on Wed 23 Apr 2014, 11:10 am

oppss.. sorry simwb90, been bz with school and totally missed this qn. i got it from diaso Plaza sing if u reside in Singapore.
    use to be placed at the stationary section, but now its along the wood craft and hand handicraft beads section.

simwb90
    SGGS Newbie
    SGGS Newbie

Post by simwb90 on Wed 23 Apr 2014, 3:01 pm

excellent!
    thanks so much =)
    Kai Kai
    SGGS Newbie
    SGGS Newbie

Post by Kai Kai on Thu 06 Nov 2014, 3:16 pm

dydee wrote:oppss.. sorry simwb90, been bz with school and totally missed this qn. i got it from diaso Plaza sing if u reside in Singapore.
    use to be placed at the stationary section, but now its along the wood craft and hand handicraft beads section.

Hi bro, is it found anywhere in other DAISO area?? like VIVO branch???
    Been looking for this all this time at different branches... may have overlooked

tried areas:
    VIVO, Parkway, Tamp, Chinatown
    dydee
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    50/100  (50/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by dydee on Thu 06 Nov 2014, 7:09 pm

nv actually found it at any other branches thus far. even at dhoby ghaut which i frequent more often, it is a come & go item. sells out pretty fast, so every time i happen to see them i'll get 2packs myself can text my scale modeling friend to see if they need any.

there's citysquare mall & kallangwave mall to try ur luck at.

if u dont mind paying a little more.. well there's always stock at
    http://myhmshop.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=129

make a trip there and be poison by all the other stuff they have.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 May 2017, 2:19 am