Singapore Gunpla Society

Please remember to introduce yourself to everyone before heading off into the other sections.
This is just pure courtesy.

From your ~Admins~
Singapore Gunpla Society

Gundam modelling society located in Singapore for everyone around the world

Dear all, this forum will be shut down in June 2017 due to low activity.

New to this!

frostburn17
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

New to this!

Post by frostburn17 on Sun 17 Nov 2013, 3:14 pm

Hi guys just a few noob questions for you.

So far I have done 1 kit, learnt how to deal with spruce, panel line with Copic 0.03 and finally applied TopCoat Flatt/Matt finish. Also used my copic and scribble all around the white part so it's more dull looking

I would like to learn more techniques now. These are my questions

1. Is it okay for me to gloss coat(how long does it dry? if applied in night will it cause frosting like matt top coat?) on my raw kit then apply a Enamel wash panel lining?(No time to learn priming and painting base coat as I have NS in a week time haha!)

2. Zippo lighter fluid is used as a thinner with Enamel paint. Does that mean I can use zippo afterwards to wash my brush that I used for panel lining? If no, what can I use to clean my brushes?

3. What brush size do you guys use for panel lining?
    chocofalcon
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Re: New to this!

Post by chocofalcon on Sun 17 Nov 2013, 4:14 pm

Hi frostburn, welcome to the club. Lol
    Question no 1 can be found in the forum so u will need to spend some time to check them out.
    Question 2 about using zippo as thinner and cleaner. Yup. I use it as such cause it so much cheaper dan x-20.
    Question 3 I prefer to set aside a fine tip brush just for panel lining and I seldom wash it since it is use just for dropping the ink. I only wash brush that I need to mantain the tip for painting details.

Enjoy ur self in ns. Lol

frostburn17
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by frostburn17 on Sun 17 Nov 2013, 6:07 pm

Thanks for the help! Currently still unable to find help on Q1. haha the forum is bigggggg Smile

thegamer1907
    SGGS Members
    SGGS Members

Post by thegamer1907 on Sun 17 Nov 2013, 8:40 pm

you can use industrial thinner for cleaning, but dont use it to thin your enamel paints as they are too strong for gunpla plastic. industrial thinner cost less than zippo fluid.

gloss coat can be sprayed without much worries, just dont over spray or the gloss will have uneven texture.

as for brush size, i am using Ashley brand size OOO brush (the smallest size) from japan, you can buy it from artfriend. I find that using smaller tip give less mess to clean later.

frostburn17
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by frostburn17 on Sun 17 Nov 2013, 9:00 pm

Ah thanks so much for the help guys!

Shall get my 2nd kit going soon Very Happy 

Is one coat of gloss enough so that I can do the panel lining?

thegamer1907
    SGGS Members
    SGGS Members

Post by thegamer1907 on Sun 17 Nov 2013, 9:33 pm

U dont need to apply gloss if you are panel lining on raw plastic
    The gloss coat is only needed most of the only when the kit is painted with a paint that would otherwise react with enamel paint.

frostburn17
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by frostburn17 on Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:34 am

thegamer1907 wrote:U dont need to apply gloss if you are panel lining on raw plastic
    The gloss coat is only needed most of the only when the kit is painted with a paint that would otherwise react with enamel paint.
    I see! But I heard after glossing it, it makes the panel wash flow in to the lines better right? not so much smudges. Am I wrong?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 May 2017, 2:17 am