Singapore Gunpla Society

Please remember to introduce yourself to everyone before heading off into the other sections.
This is just pure courtesy.

From your ~Admins~
Singapore Gunpla Society

Gundam modelling society located in Singapore for everyone around the world

Dear all, this forum will be shut down in June 2017 due to low activity.

Must know basic knowledge for Airbrush Compressors

DarthYuy
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Nickname: MIA/Dead/Retired
    Friendliness Level:
    0/100  (0/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Must know basic knowledge for Airbrush Compressors

Post by DarthYuy on Fri 01 Jul 2011, 11:37 am

Thanks to Edmund a.k.a Hobbymate

Airflow was fixed for most compressor. What is airflow ? Airflow mean air output produce x litre/min of air. When we mention regulator needed we refer to regulate the PSI to suit different application. e.g. metalic paint, hobby paint e.g. mr colour, gaia, MGM, Origin Shop, daren , etc....

There are basically fews type of air Compressor

High volume airflow compressor Suitable for HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) airbrush which normally used in commercial airbrush e.g. in the auto industrial.
    e.g. Compressor produce more than 60L/min airflow or those commercial with huge thank which one charge can last for hrs of usage.
    Note : Normally these compressor are more noisy and probably not suitable for hobby due to it noise level and not suitable for normal airbrush as most duel action airbrush support up to 50 PSI and you will not want to damage your airbrush in case of careless.

For Hobby usage which typical has an airflow between 10L/min to 35L/min suitable for most duel or single action airbrush.

Micro or cake or baby compressor : Working Pressure normally less than 15 PSI. This type of compressor good for starter and budget tight but you will need to upgrade it after couple of month of usage.
    Reason Being overheating problem and psi not constant based on what I have tested more than 20 such compressor from USA, TAIWAN & CHINA brand

Mini compressor : Working pressure normally between 20 to 40 Psi and you might need to get an regulator depend on the working pressure.
    China brand, sparmax, hobbymate, wave, Mr hobby, USA brand ( do a simple search in ebay.com)

Double piston or Silence compressor : working pressure normally more than 40 PSI and regulator a must for such compressor.
    Double piston : China brand, sparmax, hobbymate, wave, Many USA brand found in ebay.com by doing a simple search.

Silence compressor need to change oil once every 1 to 2 years which sometime quit costly.
    sil air or do a simple search from ebay.com

Note : Plug with fuse and most china brand does not come with UK Plug you need an adapter. Do not fool by the Support PSI e.g. 60 PSI and always asked for working pressure or maintain pressure which mean fully open up the compressor regulator and push on the airbrush trigger and check the PSI reading.

Hope this further clarify all concern with regards to air regulator, airbrush and compressor.

From Keith a.k.a airbrush.sg

Micro or those low pressure compressor do not come with regulator.

in this case of those low pressure compressor, some have a simple knob to control airflow. if it do not have, to control airflow will need to depend either on the airbrush (if it have the airflow control knob) or to have a extra airflow coupler. to trap water, will need get a hose with moisture trap or a mini filter to attach to end of the airbrush.

焱刀良
    Moderators
    Moderators

Re: Must know basic knowledge for Airbrush Compressors

Post by 焱刀良 on Fri 01 Jul 2011, 11:40 am

Kudos to the 2 sellers.

I have no love.
    I feel no pain. No joy. No sorrow.
    I am.. hollow.
    Spector1986
    Moderators
    Moderators