Singapore Gunpla Society

Please remember to introduce yourself to everyone before heading off into the other sections.
This is just pure courtesy.

From your ~Admins~
Singapore Gunpla Society

Gundam modelling society located in Singapore for everyone around the world

Dear all, this forum will be shut down in June 2017 due to low activity.

Asteriod base

sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Nickname: Mighty Banhammer
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Asteriod base

Post by sliver on Mon 22 Jul 2013, 10:31 pm

gbwc 2013 is around the corner so I tot I share something simple that I have done a while ago, a simple asteroid base as a quick ref for those who are planning to make a similar one.

materials used:
    1) cement powder (available in hardware shops)
    2) gravels/stones (easily available, just look around on the ground )
    3) plastic container (as a holder for the cement water mixture)
    4) ice cream sticks (recycle from my lunch's vanilla ice cream)
    5) disposable gloves (to keep your hands clean)
    6) stand for your kit (optional if you are planning of doing a 'hovering' pose). I am using the 1/100 action base stand for this

7) most important (it will be the 'base' for the craters), bottle caps of varying sizes (recycled material)

8) paint of desired asteroid colors (I recommend having silver paint for drybrushing)

step one:
    using the plastic container, mix the cement/gravel/stones together with water (pour the water slowly in to mix until muddy, not watery)
    (sorry I do not have pics of the mixture as I was unable to hold a camera while doing the mixing with two hands)

step two:
    have a base that you wan, glue the action base stand onto it (optional only if you intend to make the kit hovering in air) and apply the cement/gravel/stones mixture onto it. (main idea is to be random on the placement of the stones/gravel)
    while doing so, invert the bottle cap and apply the cement mixture onto it, you can 'shape' it with the ice cream stick to desired crater shape

shape/size/height of the base depends on your preference, I am using a flat base for illustration

close up on the crater

if you wan more craters, simply add more inverted bottle caps of varying sizes around your base.

let it dry for at least one full day (if your layer of cement mixture is thick, you will need more than one day)

step three:
    priming of the dried asteroid base

Step four:
    spray desired asteroid colors
    one recommendation, for recessed/'deep' holes/areas, use darker colors to show depth (see below two pics, nearer to lower left side of the base)

Step five:
    after the paints have dried, drybrush silver randomly along the edges/protruding corners of the base.

hope it serves as a quick simple reference.
    the above mentioned sharing is by no means exhaustive.do let your creatively flow

plar10
    SGGS Supreme Member
    SGGS Supreme Member

Re: Asteriod base

Post by plar10 on Tue 23 Jul 2013, 12:47 am

very comprehensive tutorial bro. I gotta try this one of these days.
    Vickon
    SGGS Supreme Member
    SGGS Supreme Member

Post by Vickon on Tue 23 Jul 2013, 9:16 am

Very Nice bro, this gonna be helpful for me.Very Happy 
    weitzing
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Post by weitzing on Tue 23 Jul 2013, 9:47 am

Hi Sliver Bro,
    In fact I already bought a packet of white cement from some hardware shop months ago after viewing your first tutorial before this. Just pondering when to start and where to find the free rocks and sand. Thanks for posting this detailed one.
    sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by sliver on Tue 23 Jul 2013, 1:00 pm

@plar10 and vickon: hope you find it useful Smile

@weitzing: for rocks and stones.. you can try some parks/garden etc.. or even on the road/pedestian walk etc. Smile

I.M.PAO
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Post by I.M.PAO on Wed 24 Jul 2013, 10:50 am

Ahh.. wish I saw this before doing my base. Hahaha. But keeping this in mind for future projects!! Thanks man!
    lchunleo
    SGGS Newbie
    SGGS Newbie

Post by lchunleo on Wed 24 Jul 2013, 4:31 pm

this is good, i would definitely try it out. thanks for the effort and to share bro..Very Happy

if i have wooden base, can i do it?
    sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by sliver on Wed 24 Jul 2013, 6:06 pm

lchunleo wrote:this is good, i would definitely try it out. thanks for the effort and to share bro..Very Happy

Of cos! One thing to note, for any surface to 'paste' the cement on, good to have a rough surface for 'traction', or e cement will just 'slip off' e surface. Suggest to rough sand e surface or if possible, add small vertical 'stiffeners' betw e surface and the cement to 'hold' e cement in place.
    Hope it helps

lchunleo
    SGGS Newbie
    SGGS Newbie

Post by lchunleo on Thu 25 Jul 2013, 4:02 pm

sliver wrote:
    lchunleo wrote:this is good, i would definitely try it out. thanks for the effort and to share bro..Very Happy

Of cos! One thing to note, for any surface to 'paste' the cement on, good to have a  rough surface for 'traction', or e cement will just 'slip off' e surface. Suggest to rough sand e surface or if possible, add  small vertical 'stiffeners' betw e surface and the cement to 'hold' e cement in place.
    Hope it helps

Thanks..my wooden block is a MDF one...do you have some hints on what is the vertical "stiffeners" is? trying to visualize it...Question 
    plar10
    SGGS Supreme Member
    SGGS Supreme Member

Post by plar10 on Thu 25 Jul 2013, 9:14 pm

if I may, i think what bro sliver is referring is like nails/spikes/rods that are perpendicular to your block/board. imagine a spiky wooden board (need not too many spikes though).
    sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by sliver on Thu 25 Jul 2013, 9:36 pm

plar10 wrote:if I may, i think what bro sliver is referring is like nails/spikes/rods that are perpendicular to your block/board. imagine a spiky wooden  board (need not too many spikes though).

Yep! Like what plar10  bro mentioned, to have low protruding vertical rod/nails protruding out from your board. Main idea to be allow e cement to latch/grip onto these rods/nails at random location so as to minimise the possibility of dried cement to 'slide' off a totally flat and smooth surface.
    Similar idea to rough sand the surface to provide 'traction' for e cement after the cement dries.

Ps: tks plar10 for helping with e clarification Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 May 2017, 2:18 am