Singapore Gunpla Society

Please remember to introduce yourself to everyone before heading off into the other sections.
This is just pure courtesy.

From your ~Admins~
Singapore Gunpla Society

Gundam modelling society located in Singapore for everyone around the world

Dear all, this forum will be shut down in June 2017 due to low activity.

How to paste Bandai Stickers

Landel
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

How to paste Bandai Stickers

Post by Landel on Tue 22 Jan 2013, 11:16 pm

Hi Guys, here's my tutorial for pasting Bandai stickers.

Why post a tutorial teaching how to paste stickers when wet decals are much better and have a better finish? This is because not everyone chooses to buy after market decals (eg. Samuel decals) for their kits. Maybe it's the cost, or the (postage) waiting time, or maybe they prefer the stickers that came with the kit. It's just simpler when it comes with the kit right? Whatever the reason, here's my own method that I use to make the stickers look less like stickers and more like decals. Of course, it's only my method and it may not be the best but it's what works for me. Even if you don't trim the stickers, pasting it properly will prevent it from peeling off your model and make your model look "cheap".

In this tutorial I used the stickers that came with my Real Grade 144 Aile Strike Gundam. The stickers are pretty good if they are applied correctly. I am not sure if other grades have different qualities of stickers but those that come with RG models are pretty good. The adhesive is not too sticky nor too weak (can be reapplied once or twice without totally ruining it), they have a matte finish, the printing is good and they are quite thin. If pasted properly they can almost disappear (especially with a topcoat). The only problem is that the stickers have a huge inaccurate border around them that make the stickers really obvious. The border is present because of the tolerances required during the manufacturing process (printing with one machine, then stamping out the borders with another machine).

1. Before pasting the stickers, there is a need to cut to the very edge of the print
    - It makes the stickers less obvious.
    - Also prevents the stickers from "jutting out" at the edges of the model, because the stickers are usually cut too large (larger than the model)
    - You can get away with stickers on white background/white plastic/white paint because the stickers are less obvious, but on dark backgrounds they are very obvious!

Original sticker on backing sheet (note the huge border around the sticker):

2. Use a brand new, fresh blade for trimming stickers!
    - I personally use OLFA AK-3, with OLFA blades only (for all my modelling needs). I tried other brands (such as NT) but they are not as sharp and dull faster.
    - If your blade is dull you will get unsatisfactory results or the stickers will stick to the blade when cutting

- Cut to the edges of the print and remove excess borders.
    Removing excess with tweezers:

Or remove with knife by poking on the sticker then sliding while lifting it off:

- It is important to remove the borders or else you may get little bits of unwanted stuff under your sticker when pasting on your model. You won't know until you try to flatten your sticker and then there's a little bump!

My own practice is to wipe off the unwanted trimmed pieces onto a tissue paper, so they get stuck on the tissue.

3. Use the knife edge to lift off the sticker
    - Carefully slide your knife edge under the sticker at a corner and lift it off the backing sheet carefully
    - When a small corner is under your knife, use your fingernail or toothpick to gently press onto the sticker so it sticks onto the knife edge
    - You can then peel it off slowly while the corner is stuck to the knife

Ready for pasting! (I accidentally cut too much, so you must be very very careful!)

4. With the sticker still stuck onto the knife, use a toothpick to help guide the sticker into place on the model
    - Align properly(!) before using the toothpick to gently paste the sticker onto the model

- Gently roll off your knife

Sticker in position:

You can see the silvering and air gaps/bubbles underneath the sticker.
    You don't see it here but I repositioned this sticker 4 or 5 times before getting what I wanted. Using tweezers helps if you need to pull it off the model.

5. When the alignment is correct, slowly use the edge of the toothpick (not the sharp point!) and roll over the whole sticker slowly

- If rolled correctly the silvering will disappear and the sticker will lie flat
    - Sticker will also adhere properly when rolled over with the toothpick
    - Using your thumb or finger to just "press" on the sticker will not get proper adhesion nor remove silvering

Finished pasting! (I trimmed the edges slightly while on the model cause it was covering the black line)

Congrats! You've learnt how to paste stickers on your kit! Very Happy

After Striker pack is topcoated:

You will realise that the stickers look "acceptable" but there will always be borders. We can try to reduce the effect but it cannot be completely removed. The border effects are more noticeable on dark colours (navy blue, black). That's the drawback of using stickers...

Last edited by Landel on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added pic for topcoated striker pack)
    Landel
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Pasting Foil Stickers

Post by Landel on Tue 22 Jan 2013, 11:24 pm

Foil stickers can be a bit more tricky, because if folded, the fold line becomes very obvious.

So be careful when dealing with foil stickers!

Pasting Foil Stickers

Instead of using a toothpick to roll onto the foil sticker, use a dry, firm cotton bud instead.

For indented lines or grooves underneath the sticker, use the tip of a slightly rounded toothpick to gently etch out the groove. It will make your foil stickers look more 3D.

Using toothpick to create grooves:

Completed foil stickers on back of shield:

Pasting stickers and panel lines are my favourite part of doing gunpla! I like to paste the stickers but I hate to trim them... hahaha! confused
    xXauroraXx
    SGGS Members
    SGGS Members

Re: How to paste Bandai Stickers

Post by xXauroraXx on Thu 24 Jan 2013, 7:55 pm

landel very nice tutorial u have there....
    have u tried those scratch on stickers from bandai, usually from mg kits??
    Landel
    SGGS Senior Member
    SGGS Senior Member

Post by Landel on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 12:00 am

xXauroraXx wrote:landel very nice tutorial u have there....
    have u tried those scratch on stickers from bandai, usually from mg kits??

Sorry, no I haven't... haven't done much modelling previously... From what I've read, dry transfers sound really tough!
    DarthYuy
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Nickname: MIA/Dead/Retired
    Friendliness Level:
    0/100  (0/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by DarthYuy on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:23 am

Thank you Landel~

dennisong
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by dennisong on Wed 10 Jul 2013, 6:32 am

Good one. I got problem doing those stickers. Esp the alignment.
    Hougangian
    SGGS Lurker
    SGGS Lurker

Post by Hougangian on Fri 25 Oct 2013, 4:19 pm

What do you do about stickers that "lose their stickiness", glue?
    orion9
    SGGS Newbie
    SGGS Newbie

Post by orion9 on Thu 19 Dec 2013, 9:37 am

how can we know if the stickers are dry transfers / waterslides / or normal ones? Also, i was just wondering if HAG/HAW carry 3rd party stickers?
    engkongmon
    SGGS Newbie
    SGGS Newbie

Fun Facts
    Nickname: Trouble Maker
    Friendliness Level:
    1/9999999  (1/9999999)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    1/9999999  (1/9999999)

Post by engkongmon on Thu 19 Dec 2013, 9:54 am

orion9 wrote:how can we know if the stickers are dry transfers / waterslides / or normal ones? Also, i was just wondering if HAG/HAW carry 3rd party stickers?

redmage20386 from gundammodelkits.com wrote:
    Small matters, but me myself often confuse on how to differentiate various type of Gundam decals. This post will tell you the difference between which one is which for Gundam decals.

Above is the regular sticker, you read the sign at the manual, peel the sticker and stick it to the rightful place, pretty simple and most common seen on Gundam model kits.

This one is dry transfer decal, to use it, you need to cut around the shape, put in on the Gundam parts, scratch it until all decal sticks and remove the outer layer (i need to do another tutorial for this decal -__-)

Notice the green background this one is regular decal and works like regular decal, use it on the marked point in the manual.

The one with the blue background is the water slide decals, to use it you need to cut, submerse in the water for about ten seconds, remove the blue background and then put in on the Gundam parts.

You may need mark setter and softener for maximum result.

And that is it ^^; another tutorial for the usage of each sticker will come randomly in the future :p
    maybe this will help
    orion9
    SGGS Newbie
    SGGS Newbie

Post by orion9 on Thu 19 Dec 2013, 10:02 am

that is an excellent help! Thanks bro.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 May 2017, 2:18 am