Singapore Gunpla Society

Please remember to introduce yourself to everyone before heading off into the other sections.
This is just pure courtesy.

From your ~Admins~
Singapore Gunpla Society

Gundam modelling society located in Singapore for everyone around the world

Dear all, this forum will be shut down in June 2017 due to low activity.

How To D.I.Y a Tree

cephas74
    SGGS Members
    SGGS Members

Constructing a simple palm tree

Post by cephas74 on Thu 20 Sep 2012, 3:39 pm

Here's how I built the palm tree. I'm in the process of making a new palm tree and I've made some slight improvements to the old one so here goes.

Materials Required:
    2 types of wire of different thickness, a hollow metal rod for the tree truck, Tamiya Epoxy Putty Quick Type, masking tape, floral tape, green textured paper, and green wires for flower arrangements

Constructing the tree trunk:
    I start off with a metal rod of a thickness appropriate to the scale that you are working on. I taped off the lower sections with masking tape to create a fatter section nearer the bottom part of the palm. I then took the thicker wire and wrapped it around the tree trunk to create the ridges that are common on palm trees.

I then change to a thinner wire for the upper half of the tree trunk. In this case, I'm using these Londy wires from Popular bookstore. They are quite soft and easy to twirl round the trunk. Nonetheless this is the part where I get cramps in my fingers.

Once that is done, I take these floral tapes and wrap it around the whole tree trunk. I bought them from Popular as well. The good thing about these tapes is that they are not sticky until you stretch them. As I wrap the tapes around the trunk, I stretch it so that the tape can catch upon the grooves created by the wires that I had twisted around the tree trunk. I don't know of any other kinds of tapes that can do this. I searched for quite a while to find these tapes.

The palm leaves:
    Don't know what you call these craft papers but they are really common. Available at Artfriend or Popular. They are textured and very cheap. It has a slight cloth feel to it. What I did is cut out the shape of the leaves and stick the green flower arrangement wired onto them. I then snip the leaves at an angle and the leaves are done. A few things to note is the scale that you are working on. The very first time I did this, the leaves were way too big for the 1/100 scale I was working at.

I actually went down up to a few palm trees and tried to count how many big leaves there are on them and came up with an average of about 20. I suppose this can be varied so that the tree comes out looking nice and not too bushy and also not botak. I'm also toying with putting 1 or 2 leaves of a lighter color for reality and maybe 1 in brown so that it will hang down completely as a dead leave. Juz look around at some palm trees and you'll see what I mean.

Assembly:
    For this new tree, I've not completed it so no pictures yet. But what I did with the previous tree is to tape up the whole bunch of leaves and attach them to the tree trunk using the Tamiya Epoxy. This is the smooth part that connects the tree trunk to the leaves.

Once the epoxy is dry (6 hours) I then hand paint the tree trunk with grey primer coat. The epoxy portion is then painted green with highlights of yellow at the upper and lower parts. Again take a look at a real palm tree and follow suit.

I also dry brushed the ridged parts of the tree trunk with some green and light brown for reality.

Finally once every is down and dry, I then bent the individual leaves into place and at different angles and the tree is done. See version 1 of palm tree in the pictures above.

Hope this is helpful.
    DarthYuy
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Nickname: MIA/Dead/Retired
    Friendliness Level:
    0/100  (0/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

How To D.I.Y a Tree

Post by DarthYuy on Fri 21 Sep 2012, 12:11 pm

OOOOoo This is a good Info! Thank you!

Split the thread to make this a tutorial. Hope you dun mind haha

cephas74
    SGGS Members
    SGGS Members

Re: How To D.I.Y a Tree

Post by cephas74 on Fri 21 Sep 2012, 12:37 pm

Not at all. Much better this way. Thanks
    sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Nickname: Mighty Banhammer
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by sliver on Fri 21 Sep 2012, 12:47 pm

Nice!! Might do a small project on coconut tree soon!
    Thanks for sharing! Smile

cephas74
    SGGS Members
    SGGS Members

Post by cephas74 on Sat 22 Sep 2012, 9:13 am

Haha... Please show when done.
    sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by sliver on Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:32 am

cephas74 wrote:Haha... Please show when done.

Okie!! But for now, i hav to try to finish my other 'assignments' first.. Embarassed

cephas74
    SGGS Members
    SGGS Members

Post by cephas74 on Sat 22 Sep 2012, 1:03 pm

Juz kiddin'. Trees are juz a side interest for dioramas. The focal point is still on the mechas itself!
    sliver
    Admin
    Admin

Fun Facts
    Friendliness Level:
    90/100  (90/100)
    Tolerance Level to BS:
    0/100  (0/100)

Post by sliver on Sat 22 Sep 2012, 1:13 pm

Imho, if one is doing a dio, every little detail is impt, be it trees or even e type for grass/soil used tells a part of e story..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 May 2017, 2:21 am